Electricity is essential for our daily lives- but it’s important to remember that it can be dangerous.
An electrical emergency can be an unexpected shock, but if you stay calm and take the appropriate steps you can help to resolve the issue quickly and as safely as possible.
Knowing what to do in an electrical emergency means you will be prepared when the situation arises and know what to do without as much panic.
Let’s run through the critical first steps you need to take in an electrical emergency to protect your home and anyone close by.
Before an Electrical Emergency
Before an electrical emergency occurs it’s vital to be prepared.
Emergencies can happen at any time, so being prepared for most scenarios makes it easier to cope with the situation in the critical moment.
Keep an up to date list of emergency contact numbers, including for your local electrician and emergency services. Keep the list in a visible location such as your fridge.
Make sure you have fire extinguishers and blankets that are in date at home, that they’re easy to access and make sure you know how to use them. Also know when the situation is too unsafe and you need to leave the building.
Fallen Power Lines
Electricity can spread through the ground if a power line falls. This increases the risk of getting an electric shock.
If a power line has fallen, you should always treat it as though it’s live with electricity and never touch it. On the occasion a power line has fallen close to you, hop away from it with both feet together to avoid becoming a path for the electricity to run through.
If someone has received an electric shock from a fallen power line, do not touch them either. Contact emergency services immediately for medical help.
You should also contact your local electricity company. Whilst you’re waiting for an ambulance, keep the person who has had the shock warm and lying down.
Electric Shocks From Appliances
Faulty household appliances can cause electric shocks if the circuitry or wiring is damaged. If someone has had an electric shock from an appliance, it’s again important to avoid touching them directly. Touching them could give you a shock as well.
Contact the emergency services immediately for an ambulance. Whilst you’re waiting, keep the person who has been shocked still and lying down.
Minor electric shocks from appliances might not need medical attention but it’s wise to have a paramedic check the person’s wellbeing.
Electrical fires are dangerous. They can be caused by issues with your switchboard, faulty or overloaded wiring.
If an electrical fire has broken out, never use water on it. This can make the fire worse.
In the event of an electrical fire, contact the fire brigade immediately for assistance.
If someone is injured you need to call an ambulance. Everyone in the building should evacuate immediately and stand as far back as possible.
Contact Ralph Ottman Electrical
If you’re concerned about the safety of your electrical installation, our local, professional electricians can help by assessing your current electrical installation and recommending any changes that can help improve the electrical safety of your property.
To make an appointment to discuss your specific electrical needs or find out more about our services get in touch with our friendly team today.